Day: 10 November 2020
All-new MT-09 SP: The most radical Yamaha Hyper Naked
Premium specification and exclusive finish
The Dark Side of Japan
Since 2013 the Dark Side of Japan has been the inspiration behind the development of Yamaha’s MT models that have brought a whole new level of excitement and dynamism to Europe’s thrill- seeking riders. Designed and built by people who eat, breathe and sleep motorcycles, Yamaha’s MT models have created their own dynamic Hyper Naked category and introduced a huge number of riders to a new kind of two-wheel experience.
With their torque-rich engine performance, agile handling and naked good looks, each and every MT is designed to deliver a sporty, thrilling and rewarding ride that reinforces every motorcyclist’s passion for two wheels. With over a quarter of a million MTs sold in Europe since the first model arrived seven years ago, the Yamaha Hyper Naked range is helping to make motorcycling an even more exciting, accessible and attractive lifestyle choice.
New MT-09 SP: Sharper, smarter and more exclusive
With its all-new engine and chassis, and a radical, new coverless body design that exposes its brutal and muscular good looks, the 2021 MT-09 is the purest and most exciting Hyper Naked to date. But for those riders who demand the highest specification, Yamaha have created theMT-09 SP, an even sharper, smarter and more exclusive motorcycle that features an aggressive supersport-influenced finish with premium suspension.
Dedicated SP colours and graphics
The MT-09 SP’s exclusive new R1M-influenced Icon Performance colour features a blue/black multi-toned paint scheme on the fuel tank and air ducts to give an even more aggressive and exclusive look to this top-of-the-range Hyper Naked. The premium finish is enhanced with seamless water-transfer graphics, and the supersport-style colours reinforce the bike’s pure- sports character and highlights the close technological links with the R1M – the most advanced high-performance production Yamaha ever built.
Cruise Control system
In addition to the comprehensive electronic rider aids featured on the standard MT-09, the premium MT-09 SP is also equipped with a Cruise Control system that enhances the overall riding experience.
For a more relaxing ride on the highway, SP riders can choose to activate this Cruise Control system at speeds of at least 50km/h and in 4 gear and above. After the speed has been set it can be increased in 2km/h increments by single pushes of the switch, or can be steadily increased by holding down the switch – and the system is canceled whenever the brakes, clutch or throttle are used.
As well as helping to give an easier ride on longer journeys, the SP’s Cruise Control is also a useful feature that can help riders observe prevailing speed limits without having to constantly check their speedometer.
Premium KYB® front suspension package
Featuring 41mm tubes with a tough DLC (Diamond Like Coating) that ensures ultra-smooth and responsive suspension action, the premium specification KYB® front forks feature full adjustability for preload, rebound and compression damping – enabling the SP rider to achieve the ultimate set-up to suit different riding situations. In addition, these state-of-the-art front forks are also equipped with low and high-speed compression damping adjusters for accurate tuning of the suspension.
Öhlins rear shock absorber
To match the high grade front suspension, the rear suspension system features a premium specification Öhlins rear shock absorber. Offering the rider full adjustability for compression and rebound damping – and equipped with a remote preload adjuster that enables quick and easy setting – this SP-exclusive rear suspension brings supersport handling precision to the Hyper Naked class.
The MT-09 SP’s exclusive double-stitched seat with its contrasting stitching has been developed to give the rider an unrivaled feeling of unity when aboard this premium Hyper Naked. The shape of the seat and fuel tank – as well as the overall ergonomics – have been developed through Kanno Hyoka – that is to say, evaluating motorcycle performance based on test rider perceptions and feedback. This exhaustive process ensures that the finished product enhances the total riding experience.
Anodised brushed aluminium swingarm
Another feature that is exclusive to the MT-09 SP is the beautifully finished swingarm that features a special brushed and anodised surface that perfectly complements the new Crystal Graphite frame. Together with other unique details – such as the yellow spring on the Öhlins rear shock absorber and black drive sprocket– the SP’s swingarm reinforces the premium feel and pure sporty looks of this class-leading Hyper Naked.
SP-specific chassis components
SP-specific features such as the anodised black handlebars and levers, as well as clear-smoked front and rear brake fluid reservoirs and a black drive sprocket reaffirm the MT-09 SP’s status as the most exclusive Hyper Naked in the class.
MT-09 SP Specific
- Dedicated SP colours
- Cruise Control System
- Premium fully-adjustable suspension
- Double-stitched seat
- Brushed aluminium swingarm
- Exclusive Icon Performance colours highlight the MT-09 SP’s close links with the R1M supersport.
- Cruise Control can be activated above 50 km/h in 4th gear or higher, making it easy to observe speed limits and providing added relaxation on the highway.
- Equipped with a DLC coating for super-smooth suspension action, the high specification front forks feature full adjustability together with separate adjusters for high and low speed compression damping, allowing the rider to achieve the ultimate set-up. At the rear an Öhlins shock offers full adjustability for outstanding handling performance.
- Featuring stylish contrasting stitching, the specially developed seat is shaped to give an instant feeling of fit for outstanding rider/machine unity.
- The exclusivity of the MT-09 SP is further highlighted by the anodised brushed aluminium finish of the lightweight swingarm.
MT-09 SP & MT-09
- 6-axis IMU plus lean-sensitive rider aids
- Full-colour 3.5-inch TFT instruments
- Compact, bifunctional LED headlight
- Quick Shift System
- Lightweight SpinForged wheels
- New larger-capacity 889cc EU5 engine
- All-new die-cast aluminium Deltabox chassis
- Next generation design and styling
- Radial front master cylinder
- Light and compact 6-axis IMU derived from R1. With lean-sensitive TCS, SCS & LIFt, plus BC systems. The most advanced electronic rider aids give extreme control in varying weather and surface conditions.
- Projector headlight with multiple LEDs for broad, powerful and evenly spread low and high beams. LED position lights project a signature Y-shape icon to underline the pure, next generation MT looks.
- Fast and smooth upshifting, new downshift function and refined A&S clutch give greater chassis stability for enhanced controllability during deceleration.
- Yamaha’s lightest ever Aluminium production bike wheels reduce total unsprung weight by 700g for more responsive suspension action; reduced gyroscopic moment of inertia for more agile handling.
- Substantially increased torque at lower rpm, increased power, lower weight, EU5 compliant 2.3kg lighter, shorter wheelbase for increased agility, higher rigidity for a more stable and dynamic ride.
- Coverless minimalist design, bare and beautiful looks, dynamic style, purest MT DNA, brutal yet sophisticated. Premium Crystal Graphite frame finish highlights pure mechanical beauty.
- R1 type radial front master cylinder delivers linear stopping power with the highest degree of controllability.
Comprehensive information displayed in a clear, modern and precise format. Enables rider to control the intervention level of the electronic aids via handlebar switches.
MT-09 SP Technical highlights
- Dedicated ‘Icon Performance’ YZF-R1M-inspired colours
- Cruise Control system
- Premium KYB® front suspension package
- Öhlins rear shock absorber
- Double-stitched seat
- Anodised brushed aluminium swingarm
- Anodised black levers, handlebars and black rear sprocket
- Clear-smoked front and rear brake fluid reservoirs
MT-09 SP & MT-09 features:
- New 889cc inline 3-cylinder 40-valve DOHC liquid-cooled EU5 engine
- More power at all engine speeds
- 7% increase in maximum torque at lower rpm
- 4PS increase in maximum power
- New 2.3kg lighter CF die-cast aluminium Deltabox chassis
- Lower 189kg wet weight – 4kg reduction and the lightest in 900cc naked class
- Shorter wheelbase for more dynamic handling
- New lightweight aluminium swingarm
- Bare and beautiful ‘coverless’ new generation MT styling
- Premium quality throughout, with Crystal Graphite frame finish
- Full LED lighting with Y-shape brand signature icon front and rear
- New Quick Shift System with up and downshift functions
- Refined A&S clutch
- Light and compact new 6-axis IMU
- Lean-sensitive rider aids: TCS, SCS and LIFt with three intervention modes
- ABS and Brake Control system (BC)
- D-MODE switchable engine running modes
- New ultra-light Spin-Forged 17-inch 10-spoke wheels
- Larger 180/70-17 rear tyre with 120/70-17 front tyre
- Full colour 3.5-inch TFT instruments with remote handlebar switch
- Radial front master cylinder, 298mm dual front discs